- Ph.D. (Epidemiology) 1996, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health
- M.A. (Library Science) 1981, University of Chicago
- M.A. (Divinity) 1979, University of Chicago
- B.A. (Religion) 1977, Harvard University
Diane Lauderdale's main research areas are in social epidemiology and epidemiologic methods. She has carried out a series of studies of the health of immigrant populations in the United States, including studies of birth outcomes, mortality and chronic disease risk. She derived widely-used surname-based methods for identifying individuals from specific Asian American subpopulations in data sources lacking ethnic detail, such as administrative and vital statistics records. She also studies social determinants of health behaviors and use of preventive care services. Recent work on health behaviors has focused on sleep, including studies examining the relationship between perceived and measured sleep characteristics, social gradients in sleep, and health correlates of sleep quantity and quality. In joint work with Argonne National Laboratories, together with infectious disease experts, statisticians and social scientists, she is building an agent-based computational model of the Chicago population to study community-associated MRSA transmission and control measures.
- Lauderdale DS. Education and survival in the United States: birth cohort, period and age effects. Demography, 38:551-561 (2001)..
- Lauderdale DS, Kestenbaum B. Asian American ethnic identification by surname. Population Research and Policy Review, 19:283-300 (2000)..
- Lauderdale DS, Kestenbaum B. Mortality of Elderly Asian American populations based on Medicare and Social Security Data. Demography, 39:529-540 (2002)..
- Chang VW, Lauderdale DS. Income disparities in body mass index and obesity in the United States, 1971-2002. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2005 Oct 10;165(18):2122-8.
- Santry HP, Gillen DL, Lauderdale DS. Trends in Bariatric Surgical Procedures. JAMA. 2005;294:1909-1917.
- Lauderdale DS. Birth Outcomes for Arabic-Named Women in California Before and After September 11. Demography. 2006; 43:185-201.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson K, Yan LL, Rathouz PJ, Hulley SB, Sidney S, Liu K. Objectively Measured Sleep Characteristics Among Early Middle-Aged Adults: The CARDIA Study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2006;164(1):5-16.
- Lauderdale DS, Wen M, Jacobs EA, Kandula NR. Immigrant Perceptions of Discrimination in Healthcare: the California Health Interview Survey 2003. Med Care. 2006;44(10):914-20.
- Lauderdale DS, Huo D. Cancer death rates for older Asian-Americans: classification by race versus ethnicity. Cancer Causes Control. 2008;19(2):135-46.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Yan LL, Liu K, Rathouz PJ. Self-reported and measured sleep duration: how similar are they? Epidemiology. 2008;19(6):838-45.
- King, CR, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Sidney S, Liu K, Lauderdale DS. Short sleep duration and incident coronary artery calcification. JAMA. 2008 Dec 24;300(24):2859-66.
- Chang VW, Lauderdale DS. Fundamental Cause Theory, Technological Innovation, and Health Disparities: The Case of Cholesterol in the Era of Statins. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 2009 Sep;50(3):245-60.
- Wen M, Kandula NR, Lauderdale DS. Ethnic Neighborhoods in Multi-Ethnic America, 1990-2000: Ethnoburbs and A Resurgence of Ethnicity? Social Forces 2009:88(1);425-460.
- Wong EC, Palaniappan L, Lauderdale DS. Using Name Lists to Infer Asian Racial/Ethnic Subgroups in the Healthcare Setting. Medical Care 2009 Nov;47(11):1129-35.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Yan LL, Hulley SB, Liu K. Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between objectively measured sleep duration and body mass index: the CARDIA Sleep Study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2009 Oct 1;170(7):805-13.
- Lauderdale DS, VanderWeele TJ, Siddique J, Lantos JD. Prenatal Care Utilization in Excess of Recommended Levels: Trends from 1985-2004 . Forthcoming Medical Care Research and Review.
- Siddique J, Lauderdale DS, VanderWeele TJ, Lantos JD. Trends in prenatal ultrasound use in the United States: 1995 to 2006. Medical Care. 2009 Nov;47(11):1129-35.
Complete publications list on PubMed
- Social Epidemiology (graduate)
- Critical Readings in Epidemiology (graduate)
- Epidemiology and Research Design (medical school)
Last Updated: February 07, 2014