- Ph.D. (Epidemiology) 1996, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health
- M.A. (Library Science) 1981, University of Chicago
- M.A. (Divinity) 1979, University of Chicago
- B.A. (Religion) 1977, Harvard University
Diane Lauderdale's main research areas are in social epidemiology and epidemiologic methods. She has carried out a series of studies of the health of immigrant populations in the United States, including studies of birth outcomes, mortality and chronic disease risk. She derived widely-used surname-based methods for identifying individuals from specific Asian American subpopulations in data sources lacking ethnic detail, such as administrative and vital statistics records. She also studies social determinants of health behaviors and use of preventive care services. Recent work on health behaviors has focused on sleep, including studies examining the relationship between perceived and measured sleep characteristics, social gradients in sleep, and health correlates of sleep quantity and quality. In joint work with Argonne National Laboratories, together with infectious disease experts, statisticians and social scientists, she is building an agent-based computational model of the Chicago population to study community-associated MRSA transmission and control measures.
- Lauderdale DS, Kestenbaum B. Asian American ethnic identification by surname. Population Research and Policy Review. 2000;19:283-300.
- Oram RJ, Daum RS, Seal JB, Lauderdale DS. Hepatitis B virus vaccination in the newborn nursery 1999-2000 impact of recommendations to suspend the birth dose. JAMA. 2001;285:1874-1879.
- Lauderdale DS. Education and survival in the United States: birth cohort, period and age effects. Demography 2001;38:551-561.
- Lauderdale DS, Kestenbaum B. Mortality of Elderly Asian American populations based on Medicare and Social Security Data. Demography 2002;39:529-540.
- Salant T, Lauderdale DS. Measuring culture: A critical review of acculturation and health in Asian immigrant populations. Social Science and Medicine 2003;57:71-90.
- Chang VW, Lauderdale DS. Income Disparities in Body Mass Index and Obesity in the US (1971-2002). Archives of Internal Medicine. 2005;165(18):2122-8..
- Santry HP, Gillen D, Lauderdale DS. Trends in bariatric surgical procedures. JAMA. 2005;294(15):1909-17.
- Lauderdale DS. Birth Outcomes for Arabic-Named Women in California Before and After September 11. Demography 2006;43:185-201.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson K, Yan LL, Rathouz PJ, Hulley SB, Sidney S, Liu K Objectively Measured Sleep Characteristics Among Early Middle-Aged Adults: The CARDIA Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2006 Jul 1;164(1):5-16.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Yan LL, Liu K, Rathouz PJ. Self-reported and measured sleep duration: how similar are they? The CARDIA Sleep Study. Epidemiology 2008 Nov;19(6):838-45.
- Kandula NR, Wen M, Jacobs EA, Lauderdale DS. Smoking Prevalence in Asian Americans: Does Neighborhood Context Matter? American Journal of Public Health 2009 May;99(5):885-92.
- Wen M, Kandula NR, Lauderdale DS. Ethnic Neighborhoods in Multi-Ethnic America, 1990-2000: Ethnoburbs and A Resurgence of Ethnicity? Social Forces 2009:88(1);425-460.
- Chang VW, Lauderdale DS. Fundamental Cause Theory, Technological Innovation, and Health Disparities: The Case of Cholesterol in the Era of Statins. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 2009 Sep;50(3):245-60.
- King, CR, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Sidney S, Liu K, Lauderdale DS. Short sleep duration and incident coronary artery calcification. JAMA 2008 Dec 24;300(24):2859-66.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Yan LL, Hulley SB, Liu K. Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between objectively measured sleep duration and body mass index: the CARDIA Sleep Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2009 Oct 1;170(7):805-13.
- Lauderdale DS, VanderWeele TJ, Siddique J, Lantos JD. Prenatal Care Utilization in Excess of Recommended Levels: Trends from 1985-2004 . Medical Care Research and Review . 2010 Oct;67(5):609-22.
- Palaniappan LP, Wong EC, Shin JJ, Fortmann SP, Lauderdale DS. Asian Americans have greater prevalence of metabolic syndrome despite lower body mass index. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011 Mar;35(3):393-400.
- Dukic VM, David MZ, Lauderdale DS. Internet Queries and Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aurieus Surveillance. Emerging infectious Diseases 2011 Jun;17(6):1068-70.
- VanderWeele TJ, Lantos JD, Lauderdale DS. Rising preterm birth rates, 1989-2004: changing demographics or changing obstetric practice? Soc Sci Med. 2012 Jan;74(2):196-201. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3259145.
- Kurina LM, McClintock MK, Chen J-H, Waite LJ, Thisted RA, Lauderdale DS. Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a critical review of measurement and associations. Annals of Epidemiology. 2013 Jun;23(6):361-70.
- Lauderdale DS. Survey questions about sleep duration: does asking separately about weekdays and weekends matter? Behavioral Sleep Medicine. 2014 Mar 4;12(2):158-68.
- Lauderdale DS, Schumm LP, Kurina LM, McClintock M, Thisted RA, Chen J-H, Waite L. Assessment of Sleep in the National Social Life, Health and Aging Project. Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences. 2014 Nov;69 Suppl 2:S125-33.
- Macal CM, North MJ, Collier N, Dukic VM, Wegener DT, David MZ, Daum RS, Schumm P, Evans JA, Wilder JR, Miller LG, Eells SJ, Lauderdale DS. Modeling the transmission of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a dynamic agent-based simulation. Journal of Translational Medicine. 2014 May 12;12:124.
- Antillón M, Lauderdale DS, Mullahy J. Sleep behavior and unemployment conditions. Economics and Human Biology. 2014 Jul;14:22-32.
- Chen JH, Waite L, Kurina LM, Thisted RA, McClintock M, Lauderdale DS. Insomnia Symptoms and Actigraph-Estimated Sleep Characteristics in a Nationally Representative Sample of Older Adults. Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences: Medical Sciences. 2014.
Complete publications list on PubMed
Preterm babies, fetal patients and childbearing choices. John D. Lantos and Diane S. Lauderdale. forthcoming, MIT Press.
- Social Epidemiology (graduate)
- Clinical Epidemiology (graduate)
Last Updated: January 02, 2015