- Ph.D. (Epidemiology) 1996, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health
- M.A. (Library Science) 1981, University of Chicago
- M.A. (Divinity) 1979, University of Chicago
- B.A. (Religion) 1977, Harvard University
Diane Lauderdale's main research areas are in social epidemiology and epidemiologic methods. She has carried out a series of studies of the health of immigrant populations in the United States, including studies of birth outcomes, mortality and chronic disease risk. She derived widely-used surname-based methods for identifying individuals from specific Asian American subpopulations in data sources lacking ethnic detail, such as administrative and vital statistics records. She also studies social determinants of health behaviors and use of preventive care services. Recent work on health behaviors has focused on sleep, including studies examining the relationship between perceived and measured sleep characteristics, social gradients in sleep, and health correlates of sleep quantity and quality. In joint work with Argonne National Laboratories, together with infectious disease experts, statisticians and social scientists, she is building an agent-based computational model of the Chicago population to study community-associated MRSA transmission and control measures.
- Chen JH, Waite LJ, Lauderdale DS. Marriage, Relationship Quality, and Sleep among U.S. Older Adults. J Health Soc Behav. 2015 Aug 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lauderdale DS, Philip Schumm L, Kurina LM, McClintock M, Thisted RA, Chen JH,Waite L. Assessment of sleep in the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014 Nov;69 Suppl 2:S125-33.
- Chen JH, Waite L, Kurina LM, Thisted RA, McClintock M, Lauderdale DS. Insomnia symptoms and actigraph-estimated sleep characteristics in a nationally representative sample of older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015 Feb;70(2):185-92.
- Macal CM, North MJ, Collier N, Dukic VM, Wegener DT, David MZ, Daum RS, Schumm P, Evans JA, Wilder JR, Miller LG, Eells SJ, Lauderdale DS. Modeling the transmission of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a dynamic agent-based simulation. J Transl Med. 2014 May 12;12:124.
- VanderWeele TJ, Lantos JD, Lauderdale DS. Rising preterm birth rates, 1989-2004: changing demographics or changing obstetric practice? Soc Sci Med. 2012 Jan;74(2):196-201.
- Chang VW, Lauderdale DS. Fundamental cause theory, technological innovation, and health disparities: the case of cholesterol in the era of statins. J Health Soc Behav. 2009 Sep;50(3):245-60.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Yan LL, Hulley SB, Liu K. Cross-sectional and longitudinal associations between objectively measured sleep duration and body mass index: the CARDIA Sleep Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Oct 1;170(7):805-13.
- King CR, Knutson KL, Rathouz PJ, Sidney S, Liu K, Lauderdale DS. Short sleep duration and incident coronary artery calcification. JAMA. 2008 Dec 24;300(24):2859-66.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Yan LL, Liu K, Rathouz PJ. Self-reported and measured sleep duration: how similar are they? Epidemiology. 2008 Nov;19(6):838-45.
- Lauderdale DS, Knutson KL, Yan LL, Rathouz PJ, Hulley SB, Sidney S, Liu K. Objectively measured sleep characteristics among early-middle-aged adults: the CARDIA study. Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Jul 1;164(1):5-16.
- Lauderdale DS. Birth outcomes for Arabic-named women in California before and after September 11. Demography. 2006 Feb;43(1):185-201.
- Salant T, Lauderdale DS. Measuring culture: a critical review of acculturation and health in Asian immigrant populations. Soc Sci Med. 2003 Jul;57(1):71-90.
- Lauderdale DS. Education and survival: birth cohort, period, and age effects. Demography. 2001 Nov;38(4):551-61.
- Lauderdale DS, Kestenbaum, BM. Asian American ethnic identification by surname.Population Research and Policy Review June 2000:19; 283-300.
- Lauderdale DS, Rathouz PJ. Evidence of environmental suppression of familial resemblance: height among US Civil War brothers. Ann Hum Biol. 1999 Sep-Oct;26(5):413-26.
Complete publications list on PubMed
Preterm babies, fetal patients and childbearing choices. John D. Lantos and Diane S. Lauderdale. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2015.
- Social Epidemiology (graduate)
- Clinical Epidemiology (graduate)
Last Updated: August 28, 2015