- Ph.D. (Statistics and Psychometrics) 1981, University of Chicago
- B.A. (Chemistry, Mathematics) 1976, University of Denver
Robert Gibbons major research interests are in the areas of biostatistics, environmental statistics, and psychometrics.
- Development of linear and non-linear mixed effects regression models for analysis of continuous and discrete longitudinal data.
- Statistical methods for analysis of environmental monitoring data.
- Inter-laboratory calibration.
- Statistical methods for the analysis of functional magnetic imaging data.
- Item response theory and computerized adaptive testing.
- Statistical methods in pharmacoepidemiology and drug safety.
Statistics and Biostatistics:
- Gibbons R.D., Amatya A.K., Brown C.H., Hur K., Marcus S.M., Bhaumik D.K., Mann, J.J. Post-approval drug safety surveillance. Annual Review of Public Health, 31, 419-437, 2010.
- Gibbons R.D., Segawa E., Karabatsos G., Amatya A.K., Bhaumik D.K., Brown C.H, Kapur K., Marcus S., Hur K., Mann J.J. Random-effect Poisson regression analysis of adverse event reports: The relationship between antidepressants and suicide. Statistics in Medicine, 27, 1814-1833, 2008.
- Gibbons R.D., Meltzer D., Duan N. Waiting for Organ Transplantation, Science, 287, 237-238, 2000.
- Gibbons R.D. & Wilcox-Gök V. Health Service Utilization and Insurance Coverage: A Multivariate Probit Analysis. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 93, 63-72, 1998.
- Gibbons, R.D., Hedeker D.R. Charles S.C., & Frisch P. A random-effects probit model for predicting medical malpractice claims. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 89, 760-767, 1994.
- Hedeker D.R. & Gibbons R.D. A random-effects ordinal regression model for multilevel analysis. Biometrics, 50, 933-944, 1994.
Mental Health Statistics:
- Gibbons R.D. and Mann, J.J. Strategies for quantifying the relationship between medications and suicidal behavior: what has been learned. Drug Safety, 34, 375-395, 2011.
- Gibbons R.D., Hur, K., Brown, C.H., Mann, J.J. The relationship between antiepileptics and suicide attempts in patients with bipolar disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 66, 1354-1360, 2009.
- Gibbons R.D., Brown C.H., Hur K., Marcus S., Bhaumik D.K., Erkens J.A., Herings R.M.C., Mann J.J. Early evidence on the effects of the FDA black box warning on SSRI prescriptions and suicide in children and adolescents. American Journal of Psychiatry, 164, 1356-1363, 2007.
- Gibbons R.D., Hur, K., Bhaumik, D.K., Mann, J.J. The relationship between antidepressant medication use and rate of suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry, 62, 165-172, 2005.
- Gibbons R.D. & Lavigne J.V. Emergence of childhood psychiatric disorders: A multivariate probit analysis. Statistics in Medicine, 17, 2487-2499, 1998.
- Gibbons R.D., Hedeker D.R., Elkin I., Waternaux C., Kraemer H.C., Greenhouse J.B., Shea M.T., Imber S.D., Sotsky S.M., & Watkins J.T. Some conceptual and statistical issues in analysis of longitudinal psychiatric data. Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 739-750, 1993.
- Gibbons R.D., Davis J.M. The price of beer and the salaries, of priest: a note on the analysis and display of longitudinal psychiatric data. Archives of General Psychiatry, 41, 1183-1184, 1984.
- Bhaumik D.K. and Gibbons R.D. One-sided prediction intervals for at least p of m observations from a gamma population at each of r locations. Technometrics, 48, 112-119, 2006.
- Bhaumik D.K. & Gibbons R.D. Confidence regions for random-effects calibration curves with heteroscedastic errors. Technometrics, 62, 223-230, 2005.
- Bhaumik D.K. & Gibbons R.D. An upper prediction limit for the arithmetic mean of a lognormal random variable. Technometrics, 46, 239-248, 2004.
- Gibbons R.D. & Bhaumik D. Weighted random-effects regression models with application to inter-laboratory calibration. Technometrics, 43, 192-198, 2001.
- Gibbons R.D.Statistical prediction intervals for the evaluation of ground-water quality. Ground Water, 25, 455-465, 1987.
Item Response Theory:
- Gibbons R.D., Weiss D.J., Kupfer D.J., Frank E., Fagiolini A., Grochocinski V.J., Bhaumik D.K., Stover A. Bock R.D., Immekus J.C. Using computerized adaptive testing to reduce the burden of mental health assessment. Psychiatric Services, 59, 361-368, 2008.
- Gibbons R.D., Bock R.D., Hedeker D., Weiss D., Segawa E., Bhaumik D.K., Kupfer D., Frank E., Grochocinski V., Stover A. Full-Information Item Bi-Factor Analysis of Graded Response Data. Applied Psychological Measurement, 31, 4-19, 2007.
- Gibbons R.D. & Hedeker D.R. Full-information item bi-factor analysis. Psychometrika, 57, 423-436, 1992.
- Bock R.D., Gibbons R.D., Muraki E. Full information factor analysis. Applied Psychological Measurement, 12, 261-280, 1988.
- Gibbons R.D. Statistical Methods for Ground-Water Monitoring. New York, John Wiley & Sons, 1994 1st ed, 2009 2nd ed.
- Hedeker D. & Gibbons R.D. Longitudinal Data Analysis. New York, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Gibbons R.D. & Coleman D.E. Statistical Methods for Detection and Quantification of Environmental Contamination. New York, John Wiley & Sons, 2001.
- Gibbons R.D. & Dysken M.W. Statistical and Methodological Advances in Psychiatric Research. New York, Spectrum, 1983.
- Professor, Department of Medicine
- Professor, Department of Psychiatry
- Director, Center for Health Statistics
- Member, Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association
Last Updated: February 07, 2014