- Ph.D. (Epidemiology) 2005, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.S. (Biostatistics) 2001, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.S. (Epidemiology) 1997, Beijing Medical University
- M.D. (Preventive Medicine) 1994, Beijing Medical University
Dr. Huo's research interests focus on the genetic, molecular, and environmental factors underlying differences in etiology, prognosis, and treatment of cancers, particularly as they relate to breast cancer in underserved populations. Although Dr. Huo works on research of other cancer types, most of his ongoing projects are related to breast cancer, including: 1) a replication and fine-mapping study of breast cancer susceptibility loci in women of African ancestry; 2) a genome-wide association study of breast cancer in women of African ancestry in order to identify novel common genetic variants; 3) a whole-genome sequencing study of breast cancer in order to identify moderate-penetrance of novel genetic variants; 4) molecular epidemiologic studies on microRNA in breast cancer detection and prognosis; and 5) systemic investigations of treatment utilization and health disparity in breast cancer patients using national databases.
Complete peer-reviewed publications on PubMed
- Prasad SM, Drazer MW, Huo D, Hu JC, Eggener SE. 2008 US Preventive Services Task Force recommendations and prostate cancer screening rates. JAMA 2012;307(16):1692-4.
- Huo D, Zheng Y, Ogundiran TO, Adebamowo C, Nathanson KL, Domchek SM, Rebbeck TR, Simon MS, John EM, Hennis A, Nemesure B, Wu SY, Leske MC, Ambs S, Niu Q, Zhang J, Cox NJ, Olopade OI. Evaluation of 19 Susceptibility Loci of Breast Cancer in Women of African Ancestry. Carcinogenesis 2012;33(4):835–840. PMCID: PMC3324445.
- Hou N, Zheng Y, Gamazon ER, Ogundiran TO, Adebamowo C, Nathanson KL, Domchek SM, Rebbeck TR, Simon MS, John EM, Hennis A, Nemesure B, Wu SY, Leske CM, Ambs S, Niu Q, Zhang J, Pierce BL, Cox NJ, Olopade FI, Huo D. Genetic Susceptibility to Type 2 Diabetes and Breast Cancer Risk in Women of European and African Ancestry. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 2012; 21(3):552-6.
- Sylvester BE, Huo D, Khramtsov A, Zhang J, Smalling RV, Olugbile S, Polite BN, Olopade FI. Molecular Analysis of Colorectal Tumors within a Diverse Patient Cohort at a Single Institution. Clinical Cancer Research 2012;18(2):350-9.
- Drazer MW, Huo D, Schonberg MA, Razmaria A, Eggener SE. Population-based patterns and predictors of PSA screening among older men in the United States. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2011;29(13):1736-43.
- Huo D, Melkonian S, Rathouz P, Khramtsov A, Olopade OI. Concordance in Histological and Biological Parameters between First and Second Primary Breast Cancers. Cancer 2011;117(5):907-15.
- Ogundiran TO, Huo D, Adenipekun A, Campbell O, Oyesegun R, Akang E, Adebamowo C, Olopade OI. Case-control study of body size and breast cancer risk in Nigerian women. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010;172(6):682-90.
- Huo D, Hetzel JT, Roy H, Rubin RT. Association of colorectal cancer and prostate cancer and impact of radiation therapy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker & Prev 2009;18(7):1979-85.
- Huo D, Ikpatt F, Khramtsov A, Dangou J, Nanda R, Dignam J, et al. Population differences in breast cancer: survey in indigenous African women reveal overrepresentation of triple negative breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2009 (in press)
- Huo D, Senie RT, Daly M, Buys SS, Cummings S, Ogutha J, Hope K, Olopade OI. Prediction of BRCA mutations using the BRCAPRO model in clinic-based African American, Hispanic, and other minority families in the United States. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2009;278(10):1184-1190.
- Olopade OI, Grushko TA, Nanda R, Huo D. Advances in Breast Cancer: Pathways to Personalized Medicine. Clinical Cancer Research 2008;14(24):7988-99.
- Ellis NA, Huo D, Yildiz O, Worrillow LJ, Banerjee M, Le Beau MM, et al. MDM2 SNP309 and TP53 Arg72Pro interact to alter therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia susceptibility. Blood 2008 112(3):741-9.
- Huo D, Adebamowo CA, Ogundiran TO, Akang EE, Campbell O, Adenipekun A, et al. Parity and breastfeeding are protective against breast cancer in Nigerian women. British Journal of Cancer 2008; 98(5):992-6.
- Lauderdale DS, Huo D. Cancer death rates for older Asian Americans: classification by race versus ethnicity. Cancer Cause and Control 2008; 19(2):135-46.
- Huo D, Kim HJ, Adebamowo CA, Ogundiran TO, Akang EE, Campbell O, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in uridine diphospho-glucuronosyltransferase 1A1 and breast cancer risk in Africans. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2008; 110(2):367-76.
- Huo D, Olopade OI. Genetic testing in diverse populations: are researchers doing enough to get out the correct message? JAMA 2007;298(24):2910-1.
- Hong AL, Huo D, Kim HJ, Niu Q, Fackenthal DL, Cummings SA, John EM, West DW, Whittemore AS, Das S, Olopade OI. UDP-Glucuronosyltransferase 1A1 Gene Polymorphisms and Total Bilirubin Levels in an Ethnically Diverse Cohort of Women. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 2007; 35(8):1254-61.
- Hickson JA, Huo D, Vander Griend DJ, Rinker-Schaeffer CW, and Yamada SD. The p38 kinases MKK4 and MKK6 suppress metastatic colonization in human ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Research 2006; 66(4):2264-2270.
- Rubin DT, LoSavio A, Yadron N, Huo D, Hanauer SB. 5-aminosalicylic acid therapy prevents dysplasia and colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2006; 4(11):1346-50.
- Ryan CW, Huo D, Demers LM, Beer TM, Lacerna LV. Zoledronic Acid Initiated During the First Year of Androgen-Deprivation Therapy Increases Bone Mineral Density in Prostate Cancer Patients. Journal of Urology 2006; 176(3):972-8.
- Mestan K, Marks J, Hecox K, Huo D, Schreiber MD. Neurodevelopmental outcomes of premature infants treated with inhaled nitric oxide. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 355:23-25.
- Schreiber MD, Gin-Mestan K, Marks J, Huo D, Lee G, Srisuparp P. Inhaled nitric oxide decreases pulmonary morbidity and death in premature infants with respiratory distress syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine 2003;349:2099-107.
- Karrison TG, Huo D, Chappell R. A group sequential, response-adaptive design for randomized clinical trials. Controlled Clinical Trial 2003; 24(5):506-522.
- Smith SM, LeBeau MM, Huo D, Karrison T, Sobecks RM, Anastasi J, Vardiman JW, Rowley JD, Larson RA. Clinical-cytogenetic associations in 306 patients with therapy-related myelodysplasia and myeloid leukemia: The University of Chicago series. Blood 2003; 102(1):43-52.
- Deyrup AT, Haydon RC, Huo D, Ishikawa A, Peabody TD, He TC, Montag AG. Myoid differentiation and prognosis in adult pleomorphic sarcomas of the extremity: an analysis of 92 cases. Cancer 2003; 98(4):805-813.
- Stadler WM, Huo D, George C, Yang X, Ryan CW, Karrison T, Zimmerman TM, Vogelzang NJ. Prognostic factors for survival to gemcitabine plus 5-fluorouracil based regimens for metastatic renal cancer. Journal of Urology 2003; 170(4):1141-1145.
- Huo D, Lauderdale DS, Li L. Influence of reproductive factors on hip fracture risk in Chinese women. Osteoporosis International 2003; 14(8):694-700.
- Ouellet LJ, Thorpe L, Huo D, Bailey S, Jiminez AD, Johnson WA, Rahimian A, Monterroso E. Prevalence and incidence of HIV among out-of-treatment injecting drug users, Chicago 1994-1996. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2000; 25(5):443-50.
- Huo D, Li L. A case-control study on risk factor for hip fracture in the middle-aged and elderly in Beijing. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology 2000; 21(1):37-40.
- HSTD 40500 - Advanced Epidemiologic Methods
- HSTD 30701 - Epidemiologic Methods
Last Updated: February 18, 2015